Project Value Improvement
We help clients plan, develop, and deliver construction projects across all asset classes through all stages of the project life cycle, from planning through commissioning. Our work consistently results in improved productivity, shortened schedules, and reduced costs. We work with our clients to apply global best practices and systems at the onset of a project that will impact positive delivery, maximize value, and minimize waste.
How We Deliver Impact
We bring integrated teams of partners and consultants, as well as senior experts with decades of experience designing technical solutions and running construction projects across all industries. This combination of best-in-class technical, financial, and project-execution expertise, backed by our robust value-engineering methodology and depth of experience, allows us to deliver superior value to project-owner organizations worldwide.
Project-value optimization is a continuous process, and we work with clients on an ongoing basis to identify opportunities for improvement. At each key milestone in the design phase, we perform value-optimization exercises. This process enables organizations to improve the overall project value by minimizing the total cost of ownership of equipment, simplifying logistics and storage, improving constructability and productivity during the construction phase, and maximizing yield.
Our clients benefit from proprietary our capabilities, including:
Our structured value-engineering approach. A series of exercises linked to key milestones or deliverables in the initial and detailed design stages. The exercises are structured as either idea-generation workshops or deliverable reviews. This approach allows clients to continuously generate value-optimization ideas and make decisions at the right time, rather than having to redo much of the engineering-design work or abandon a good optimization idea when it appears only at the end of the initial design stage.
Our Project Value Improvement Database. A proprietary depository of value-optimization ideas from capital projects around the world. We leverage it to bring best practices to our clients from across a variety of industries. By drawing on insights from other industries and applying best-practice tools and methodologies developed through client work, we bring a fresh perspective to complex problems within the transport industry. Our global network of construction management consultants advise clients on the following topics:
- Planning, Financing, and Risk Management. We support clients on asset planning and prioritization, financial projections—including demand modeling, and business and operating models. We also work with clients to define contracting strategies—including public-private partnerships (PPPs)—and to manage risk.
- Stakeholder Management and Project Organization. Drawing on our extensive experience serving transport authorities, government agencies, banks and funds, and other public and private entities, we work to ensure that stakeholders are aligned and project outcomes are mutually beneficial. In particular, we have strong experience advising clients on risk and regulatory management.
- Constructability Analyses. We help clients balance technical and commercial design considerations. At the same time, we support clients in building capabilities so that project leaders have the fact base and skill set to make the appropriate trade-offs going forward.
- Value Engineering. We systematically apply design-to-cost and design-to-market principles. To maximize the value of transport infrastructure, we apply proprietary tools and methodologies, including engineering trade-off approaches, construction cost benchmarking, and clean sheet analysis.
- Procurement Strategies. We have developed multiple purchasing and subcontractor management best practices, such as our Category Consolidation approach and our Supplier Negotiation Academy, to help clients optimize costs and align the incentives of downstream suppliers and subcontractors.
- Master CPM Schedule Development. To improve productivity and complete projects on time and on budget, we help clients implement lean construction techniques such as Critical Path Compression, Parallel Processing, and Last Planner System. At the same time, we consider potential organizational barriers to implementation and manage accordingly.
- Operational Excellence. Our detailed understanding of individual asset classes and their unique maintenance and operations enables us to understand the full cost of ownership at the outset of a project. During the development phase of a project, we help clients balance short- and long-term considerations to minimize maintenance costs once an asset is in operation.
- Commercial Excellence. By maximizing both fare and non-fare revenue we help clients achieve commercial excellence. We apply cutting-edge sales and marketing techniques to support our clients in understanding customers, developing pricing strategies to optimize yield, and brainstorming non-fare revenue strategies, such as retail shops in airports and real-estate developments near railway stations.
As infrastructure contributes to the economic output of a region, it is an important measure of productivity. However, developing efficient and cost-effective infrastructure is challenging. When deciding what to build, infrastructure planners and policy makers often need to balance complex political, economic, social, and environmental tradeoffs.
At the same time, construction requires capital investments, and public finances are increasingly strained. Stakeholders often face a difficult choice. Either they optimize an existing, flawed asset or they build something new; either they continue with a proven asset or they invest in sustainable technology. Transport projects that proceed often exceed timelines and budgets.